Camp Choconut was founded in 1896 as one of the first summer camps in the country. It provides a setting for boys where outdoor activities such as camping, backpacking, canoeing, and sports help to instill the values of cooperation, teamwork, responsibility, and friendship. Boys from schools within the Southern New York or South Central New York region and North Central Pennsylvania region were brought together by a school professor to extend their schooling in a camp setting.
The camp operated continuously until 1953. Former camper S. Hamill (Ham) Horne ran the camp from 1961–1985 based on the old traditions, but with less emphasis on competition in favor of striving for personal excellence.
Camp Susquehannock for Girls operated on the property from 1986 until 2005.
Alumni from the Horne era formed the Choconut Foundation in 1986 to maintain the ideals, values, and friendships from camp. They still gather annually at Camp for a Labor Day reunion. Some serve on the board of the current camp, while others participate as guest counselors.
Camp Choconut re-opened in 2007 based on traditions dating back over 110 years and carried forward by a family of alumni. It is operated by the Friends of Camp Choconut, a 501c(3) non-profit corporation.
Camp Choconut for Boys is located on a pristine, private lake in Pennsylvania’s Blue Ridge Mountains 17 miles south of Binghamton, New York. Its location, the southern New York and Northern Pennsylvania region – 180 miles from Philadelphia, New York City and Buffalo, Camp Choconut’s climate features smog-free mountain air, warm days and cool nights. The rustic camp buildings are built of materials found in the area. The sleeping cabins are of wood and Alumni End, the 80 year-old recreation building, is built of stone.